I have assembled the new evaporometer Type S . This post will be a quick update of the progress.
I have created a new version of the evaporometer where everything is stacked. The main reason for this is to shade the strain gauge from the sun. In this post, I will summarize the design of the evaporometer and show some images of the early iterations of this design.
The TSL2561 and TSL2591 are Ambient Light Sensors (ALS). Both of these sensors are good, but there are some differences between them that would change the implementation of the Albedo sensor. This post intends to explain why we chose the sensor that we did.
We have been looking for a way to seal our enclosures so that water can't get in. In response to this problem, we decided to use cork to try to solve this problem. This post is just a brief description of what the design looks like and the settings used to cut the cork.
I've bee working on the ETA attachment and here is an update on what it looks like and where the design will go next.
Here is an update on the progress of the second versions of the Evaporimeter. We have now printed the pieces and mounted the electronics onto the 3D printed pieces.
Here is an update on the new evaporimeter design. This design will include the ETA sensor on it. It has not yet been designed, but the electronics base has the port for it.Here is a summary of the design
t was recently discovered that our transmitter is no longer sending data and that the last reading on the humidity sensor was 100%. I wonder what happened? We are now moving ahead in the design process to create a waterproof system.
After months of prototyping, experimenting and redesigning we have successfully deployed our first, "fully open source" transmitter and receiver with near real time updates to a google spreadsheet. This post will give a step by step procedure on how to set up all the software and web interfaces for this project.
On Thursday July 27th, members of the OPEnS Lab finally deployed a working prototype of the Evaporometer at the HJ Andrew's Experimental Forest. They were accompanied by Professor Bo Zhao, a member of his data visualization team, and coordinators at the HJ Andrews Forest as the receiver hub was set up at a station near the Discovery Trail and the Evaporometer-transmitter was drilled into a log overlooking a stream.
This post is dedicated to our testing results and a few comments about why the Evaporimeter's first test took so long to complete!
It has been some time since any updates were posted on development of the Evaporimeter device designed to remotely transmit evaporation data via LoRa transmission to a central receiver and then to an internet hub. There have been A LOT of changes - so many additions and revisions to the overall design that perhaps now it is best to introduce the Evaporimeter as an entirely new model with an expanded focus on reporting data for a multitude of environmental factors.
We're releasing details about our project after ten weeks of development including support for portable limply batteries, project code/resources, and why some additional functionality is necessary before deployment.
As progress on the LoRa radios leads to integration into the Evaporometer Project, we take a closer look at some of the aspects of data transmission and providing portable power.