Printing V72

The printing of this piece has been a bit tough. The main problem has been that the printer's nozzle becomes loose midway through the print, we are currently working on fixing that. The piece itself is printing quite well; I'm only testing the threaded sections of the sampler. One thing to note is that we are currently printing with PLA, we don't have ABS at this moment. Using PLA facilitates the printing of our pieces but it is not suitable for engineering purposes, so as soon as we get ABS we will switch over and see how the printing goes. 

The piece does show an increase of structural strength on the threaded section. I tried breaking the piece, which didn't take too much strength on previous versions, but it didn't give in.  The next thing to do is to print using ABS and see if the results are comparable to the PLA prints.

Here is a link to the corresponding video with a visual explanation:

 

Stronger Structure

The soil sampler was very weak at the threaded section and was breaking very easily with very little force applied to it. To fix this, I went increased the diameter for the circular base and increase the dimensions of the base on which the threads rest on. A fillet was also added to the bottom of the base. This serves as a smooth transition from the round base to the square extrusion, making it less susceptible to fracturing in the union between those two sections. 

Section analysis of the soil vapor sampler 

Section analysis of the soil vapor sampler